Sunday 22 March 2020

A Very Odd Week

I think I am not alone when I say this has been a very strange week.

I will tell it from Missys perspective. 

Monday: Mother was doing that strange thing she sometimes does where she stares and talks at the laptop. She's a bit stressed out but that's OK, Father is home early! And he's getting to stay home all week too, or maybe all month, they don't know, but that's great. I don't know why Mother is upset about that. 

Tuesday: Father was keeping busy in the garden, he doesn't want to distract Mother from the laptop. It's got nice now so I can sleep in the garden. 
Mother should have a longer break from her laptop, so I lay on her feet to try and stop her. It didn't work, 

Wednesday: now mother is on the laptop at night too. First to Grandpa and Ruby, then next with Granny and the cat Elvis. She's doing lessons, she says we all need to keep in touch, but that's silly. Why can't we just visit them? I haven't seen the cat in ages. 

Thursday: I'm not sure I like this routine. Father avoids mother so as not to distract her, and mother clearly needs someone to cheer her up. I tried bringing her a squeaky toy as she was talking at the laptop. She laughed and took it off me so my work is done. 

Friday: Father is much happier today. He says he's going to get paid until the end of the month, and from there the company will see what the government is planning. Mother was happy, but then spoke lots and lots at the laptop and now isn't happy. She's not staying at home like father anymore and says she has to go back to her old job. I don't much like this all. Everyone is being very upset and strange.

Long story short, hubbys work has closed due to Covid19 and I've been redeployed back to the labs - making me a front line worker. After a week complaining that I missed my colleagues and wanted things back to normal, karma bit me hard. Be careful what you wish for. Can't say I terribly want to go in, but the better part of my nature tells me that it's for the greater good.

We decided on Saturday to practice our social distancing and visit Penicuik House. It's a nice little gem of a walk - the old Manor suffered a fire that completely destroyed the internals but left the exterior building intact. It was too expensive to repair so was basically abandoned. 

We had planned on going to Flotterstone, but I think the rest of Edinburgh had that idea so we took one look at the car park and declined. Still, we had a lovely walk and a picnic by the river and my spirits were improved. It was nice just to get out and go somewhere a little different. Missy certainly appreciated it and is in better spirits herself. Whilst I'm sure she appreciates the company, she's always been very sensitive to our moods and knows something isn't quite right. 

I don't have a big project update, but I'm keeping myself very busy with a lot of hand sewing. Here's an in progress shot, any guesses on what it's for? 

I imagine next week's post will be a bit of a ramble too, and for that I apologise in advance. I think it's important for history, and ourselves, to make note of the current situation and record how we feel and what's happening. 

Keep safe everyone. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how this is Missy's take of it all!

    And your right, we do need to record it, for history, but it's all so strange and confusing it's hard to know where to begin!

    Also, is that Disney Bounding I suspect...?

    ReplyDelete