Sunday 31 October 2021

A Scary Halloween


It's been a good Halloween this year! Last week the weather cheered up long enough for Missy to have her Halloween photoshoot (I was glad I did it early, we've mostly been out for a swim this week, awful weather!). Her Houndour costume hasn't had a proper photoshoot since it debuted in 2017 and, with Nintendo running a pokemon themed pet contest, I figured that you had to be in it to win it. 
Not that I expect to win, I just like joining in the fun! 
It's the same reason I joined in the pumpkin contest with the family! Some good entries this year from the family, and mine was this rather last minute ghostie. 

At least he looks pleased to see the trick or treaters. 

The main event on the calander this week was helping out as volunteer zombies for Foam Dart Thunders Terminal Infection event. We've done a few of the events before with them as players and, after seeing a call for zombie helpers, I couldn't resist. I did have a panic moment just before the event that perhaps my hubby would rather have played than volunteered (the running joke being that we have tried and failed for years to do the event - we could never secure tickets and, when we finally did, covid came along!). My fears were put aside after our zombie training when he was enthusiastically trying to come up with a costume idea.
On the day itself, we arrived early, got suited and booted, had some very nice prosthetic wounds put on and anxiously awaited. I was concerned I was going to be a rubbish zombie - I felt my lurching pace looked more comedic than frightening and I just couldn't make an undead groan more sinister than a wheeze.
To warm up, a "volunteer" took a zombie put to show everyone and, at the last moment before they returned them to our little room, they attacked and we all dragged them into our room. We were officially zombies.

I quickly found my niche. Watching the other, more experienced, zombies, I realised that they were very much thier own kind of zombie. From one pacing in circles like a cat to one contorting on the floor like an extra from the ring, we could do more than the basic shuffle and grown. I spied my first victim, too engrossed in shooting someone to spot me, lumbered over (drag, thud, drag, thud) then a quick lunge and a hiss.
I have never been more pleased with myself at scaring a child. Then a couple of the adults. And then we started ganging up on our victims. Tremendous good fun. Between games we discussed tactics and how to be the most bothersome that we could and genuinely had an amazing time. 

The clocks kindly went back for us this morning. It was a late night and, being absolutely fueled on sugar and caffeine, we didn't get to sleep until even later. Hubby had lost his voice and was very sore and stiff. 
I dont drink, but I'm fairly certain despite 4 bottles of water and 3 cans of coke, I was hungover this morning. We decided that we all deserved celebratory pancakes from Stack and Still - Halloween style. 
I asked hubby what he thought of the event and was pleasantly surprised when, unprompted, he said he wanted to be a zombie again for the next one. His reasoning being that we play the same games in the other venues, so he wasn't really missing out being a zombie. I'm rather pleased to hear that as that was my thinking too! 

We were booked on for a #leadtheway walk at Cramond (being hosted by the person who attended ours) and, after watching hubby lose his train of thought for the sixth time over pancakes, I told him to sit it out and I'd go myself. 
Missy was pleased for the excursion and, despite the fading light, we made it to the island and back. 

I am feeling it now. My zombie lurch has caught up to me and so a well deserved bath is being run! 
An excellent way to finish a horrifyingly fabulous weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad I missed the zombie fun, but ridiculously pleased you had a good time - and that you managed to scare a few people! I did that too on Halloween, though quite by accident!!!

    ReplyDelete