Sunday 17 October 2021

The Painting of a Good Weekend


It's been another busy run of things; between virtual meet ups, pre Halloween Spooky get togethers and the theatre (Woman in Black, 10/10 would recommend), we had to call Saturday a quiet morning. There was more get togethers planned: the cinema that evening and then my mother the Sunday, but we just had to pause. 

Missy has been on quite strict rest and short lead walks, so by Saturday had clearly begun to get frustrated. Deciding on a longer (but still on lead) walk, we made the most of the nice weather and Sunday provided the perfect solution: a dog friendly day out.

For my mums birthday I had organised to take her to Glasgow where we would meet up with her sister and go ceramic painting. My aunt is very artistic - my childhood bedroom was covered in murals she had painted from 101 Dalmatians, so the venue was a good choice. And, whilst not artistic, my mother loves to make a story out of a day, and to be able to show off the end point of the story is always a win (her house is full of odd little knick knacks she's proudly made). The day went off to a bad start however when my aunt pulled out owing to food poisoning.

The weather didn't help my mood as my mum, quite upset, broke the news. To her, the main point of the day was getting to see her sister and the painting was a fun bonus to get everyone out and doing something. I suggested we could detour and visit my aunt for half an hour (she was sick, it would be imposing to stay longer), and then do the painting.
Once in from the morning walk (read swim), I popped Missy in her new bathrobe and tried her new buster collar on her as we had to nip out to the shops to buy in a special dinner. 
The delightful sea of pink (above) was enough to brighten my spirits. I hadn't realised just how much pink she has - I think I might have a problem!

My mum arrived at 11.30 and we were on our way at 12, getting to my aunts for 1pm as promised. There was hugs and I handed out cupcakes (the best cure when feeling weak and poorly) and some small talk before my mum was given her presents. My aunt lamented several times about how unwell she had been and how much she had wanted to go (she was meant to be going back to mums to start a week long tour of the Edinburgh family). After promises from my mum to come visit later in the week if my aunt felt better, we headed to the ceramics.

On the drive we discussed our painting plans and both had a laugh when we realised we both wanted to paint the pets. Once we arrived at the Craft Pottery, I asked mum to scope out the available things to paint and was surprised to see her return with one small plate and a medium one for me (it was the last on the shelf). 
This would not do.
I took the plates, returned to the shelf and, spotting a pretty platter, picked up two. Showing one and grinning, I declared I was having the platter, and, unless she really wanted the plate, she should have one too. 
The smile was instant from her. A story had now begun.
I have a trait inherited from my mother whereby, if I'm going to do something, I'll do my darned best. I don't care if I win or what I'm doing is the best, so long as I have tried and done my best. That perfectly describes my mother painting that platter. Every aspect was discussed seriously, from the flower colours to the cats placement. And she painted the whole thing. I have a steadier hand, so helped with a few lines, but the bulk of it was her efforts. 
The distraction was perfect as she cheerfully laughed and showed off each addition to the platter.

Not a bad effort for an hour and a half! 

Although I think Missy would have been more impressed with a dog bowl...!

Once back, hubby had made us dinner and let mum tell her embellished story of the day. She was delighted at the curryvursts and German fried potatoes, and proceeded to tell us all about the food she ate as an army wife before she left to avoid driving in the dark.
Not a bad save on the day. It was just what Missy needed, something mentally stimulating for her, and she's now dozing happily. And my mum clearly needed it too. In a few weeks we'll be able to pick the peices up and she'll have the final part of her story. And something she hopefully looks on and smiles at, which I know I'll be doing with mine. 

1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely story! Can't wait to hear mums version!

    ReplyDelete