Sunday 18 February 2024

Passing on the Baton


Les just start with sewing. There has been A LOT of it this week.

As I very briefly mentioned just before Xmas, I had a mad dash to my sisters to very quickly sew some curtains whilst bleeding everywhere. Well, Friday was the refit. I'd always planned on going back and redoing them properl and therefore recruited everyone to help this time. My nephew was using the overlocker and my neice was sewing in tandem her machine as I furiously ploughed through them on mine. My hubby was unpicking the original seams and doing the hevy lifting getting them down and up again, and after a furious 3 hour sprint, they were done.

We then collected the kids and headed back to give my sister and her husband a much needed break. My neice was actually working this weekend, so whilst she joined in in the evening fun and board games, it was really a weekend focused on my nephew. 

So what did the 14 year old boy want to do? 

Sew. Sew like his life depended on it. Were taking him to a cosplay convention in July, because he really wants to get into cosplay. So this weekend was step one in learning to sew and making his costume. There's a lot to do, a hat and gloves and then the prop pistols, but his Alucard outfit is already off to a great start. He helped cut the peices, did most of the overlocking and the sewing too. It's in my care owing to some hand sewing it needs done, but for all accounts and purposes, he made a coat in a weekend - his first sewing project.

The baton I thought I was going to hand to my neice, a lifelong love of sewing and creating bizarre and wonderful things, has been pipped at the post and taken by my nephew. And long may it continue! 

We had the extra dog and did fit in a few lovely walks with Wee Ben, but he's turned into a grumpy wee old man of late and absolutely refused a second walk, preferring to sleep on the sofa and use the garden if need be.
A funny wee thing he is. 

Right. I'm free of children and about to soak in a well deserved bath, so until next week, have a lovely time and share your hobbies! 

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing! Really looking forward to seeing it all completed. And the fact nephew has stolen that baton... hilarious

    ReplyDelete