Saturday 14 October 2023

Picking Pumpkins


I have tried for a few years now to go pumpkin picking somewhere dog friendly to absolutely no avail. They're either sold out of time slots, or they aren't actually dog friendly. This year, as swathes of cute pups perched atop pumpkins filled my feed, a horrible thought dawned on me, clearly I'd missed it again. The gourd had sailed. My hopes we're squashed.

And it was my mums birthday weekend and I needed to find something dog friendly that wouldn't freak Ren out. I won't lie. I spent far too long go ogling an ever wider circle of pumpkin patches before I struck upon South Ardbennie Farm.

I know it seems odd, pumpkins for birthdays, but firstly, the double dog situation, secondly, what I was really offering my mum was an autumn photoshoot with a prize pumpkin to carve later in the month with the grandkids. And I'm pleased to say that, with the sun out and the wind (mostly) keeping away, the weather was perfect and she was delighted. 

The Facebook Post was already up before I'd gotten home after dropping her off! 

Ren had had a... Moment earlier in the week. Hubby watching the wrestling with his friends online and Ren went into an absolute spiral. Shibas, or at least this one, don't display thier anxiety in the usual way. I honestly thought he was pacing about because he needed the bathroom and, when that failed and he was bored playing rug if war with me, that he had reached the mid-stay I'm gonna push boundaries stage. We'd certainly had that in the morning when he snuck into the bedroom and I found him casually draped over my pillow. So when he decided to hide under the bed, I thought he was acting the goat again until he snarled and tried to bite me.

Let me tell you. We decided it best to leave him there as he was clearly frightened. I did not sleep a wink that night. I had a literal monster under the bed. 

Until the morning. The sun came up and he was bright and cheery and his delightful self.

We messaged his pawrents in the morning and they said that they had suspected crowd noises being a problem, and they apologised. Why do I mention this? Because I think it's important that people realise that taking on a second dog just because they have one already is super easy, and it isn't. 
Apparently grandpaw is one of those types that scream at the TV when the footy is on, so Ren, being in a new and weird place, panicked. It's not his fault for snapping whilst being scared, and we now know what to look for as his anxiety signs, so no harm, no foul. He deserves leniency and was quickly forgiven.  

We doubled down our efforts to make sure he had a nice stay with us, hence today being about the dogs. 

And absolutely no more wrestling for the week! 

He gets picked up tomorrow and, whilst they get on well, I do think Missy will be pleased to get her routine back! 

That's all for this week, see you next! 

1 comment:

  1. Love the puns. Love the puppy pumpkins more!

    And I think you made the right decision about letting everyone know about Rens little moment - it certainly wouldn't have occurred to me!

    Also, pleased mum had a good birthday! And yes, she's already shown me all the photos!

    ReplyDelete