Sunday 9 July 2023

A Busy Weekend for the Little Jacobite


Its a been another busy little weekend. Firstly we started with the Dalkeith show on Saturday. It was my second time at the Dalkeith show and, particularly after my volunteer day at the Royal Highland Show, I couldn't get over how much smaller this one was. 

Still, it was really nice getting to see some friends and watch the livestock. I had gone with my local friend, and my other friend with the twins came along too to say hi. The weather unexpectedly held out for us, barring a short shower at 10am as we arrived, and it was soon boiling. 


Missy did enter the dog show, but didn't place (although she did come second in musical sit, which is pretty good for her!). And by that point everyone had had enough sun and we called it a day.

After thunderstorms and heavy rain from 7pm tell well past bedtime, I was rather worried about our plan to take another friend of ours to Duncarron. It was the same friend who we tool last time and, honestly, just watching her live out her favourite renfaire vibes is delightful. 

Still, we got up to bright sunshine. The storm had cleared the humidity, but it was hot. 8am and the jumper was discarded before I even got out for the morning walk. 


Duncarron was a success as always. There was sword fights and musket fire, although Missy has recently decided that she dislikes the musket fire. Not to the point she's freaking out, but definitely showing us that she doesn't like it - I'm wondering if sorting out her allergies (and the prolific ear infections that we're a side effect) has resulted in her sensitivity to noise increasing. Hubby thinks it's just because she's getting old and doesn't feel obligated to put up with nonsense any more!

That was certainly the case with her outfit today - I had made a little plaid for her and she decided after ten minutes that she wasn't happy so we took it off her. I definitely think it was because it was so hot - she did later oblige me a woodland photoshoot in the afternoon when it was cooler. 

I may have made a coat. We matched. It was awesome. 

That aside, we all had a great time. I'd remembered a picnic blanket so Missy was in princess mode lying across it and refusing to share with humans or other dogs! We watched the archery demonstration, had better luck with the axe throwing, learned all about the plaid and watched the fight demonstrations. 

There were plenty of dogs at this event; a lot of the volunteers had brought thier own and plenty of visitors too. The hunting hawks were also being shown and, the biggest surprise was the very first Cat of Duncarron! 


A very successful day! We have a relatively busy run next weekend and then I have a quiet one planned that I am fiercely guarding to myself! 

Until next update, have a good one! 

1 comment:

  1. Missy looks amazing! And you look great too. It always amazes me how well behaved she is, even if she isn't putting up with nonsense so much anymore!

    ReplyDelete