Sunday 14 November 2021

Babies in Birkenhead


Its been another busy little week for us! We've started to venture out of our comfort zones a little and managed to get out and see a live music gig on Wednesday. At first I was pretty uncomfortable about the number of people, not in a "not covid safe way", just in a "I'm indoors and why is there people standing by me" kinda way, but I quickly eased into it and, whilst Hayseed Dixie is not to everyones taste, we had an excellent time.

Then came the mad dash weekend. 

Although, yes, covid tests first thing in the morning before setting off, just in case. All negative, so good to go. 

My Wirral based friend had her baby boy in August, and we wanted to go and see "Bear" (I love official nicknames, they make my life so much easier when writing about adventures!) before he was out of the newborn phase. After booking the weekend with them, we held off until the last moment to organise specific plans - I have 6 neices and nephews (some by genetics, others through the deepest friendships) so I knew there was no point in making grand plans as Bears nap schedule could change at any moment.

And yes, for those wondering, Bear is neice/nephew no 7. I didn't ask or hint, he was handed to us with the grand introduction of Aunty and Uncle. We're both very happy to have been bestowed the honour of the title.


Friday evening was the meet and greet and Saturday we went out for lunch at the Woodside Ferry Village. There was a bit of a squeeze getting us all in the car (thiers was down with engine trouble), but we arrived safe and sound and, being the one holding Ren, absolutely covered in dog hair. The hug was worth every single strand! We arrived to find a Christmas Market and excitedly ordered some very nice Japanese food. Missy and Ren are thick as thieves - they paired up on the sad eyes and Missy conducted lessons on her Hard Stare(tm). 

I bought a reflective poppy for Missys collar from the market (as if she needs more poppies, but I'm always happy to help the Poppy Legion) and the new parents bought a little fox baby grow. Bear was too little to meet Father Christmas, so Ren and Missy got to meet him instead.


Then it was back to theirs for boardgames and dinner and the most delightful homemade Biscoff slices I've ever had. A great wee day, and whilst (for us) very chill, it was nice to take things down a notch or two and just catch up.

This morning we hit the road early. But not after properly exploring Birkenhead Park. This Disneyland for dogs was less than 5 minutes from our Airbnb and, whilst we did walk it Saturday, we used Sunday to give it a proper explore. But why Doggy Disneyland? The squirrels. The sheer volume of squirrels.


Missy completely disregarded her days training on how to not chase them, and spent a solid hour stalking, sneaking on, dashing after and full on chasing the things. We instantly realised these squirrels had it sussed as Missy failed to get anywhere near them. I'm sure every dog in the Wirral must chase them as they executed perfectly planned escapes at great leisure. And not just the squirrels, the ducks and pigeons too:


An excellent way to burn beans before the big drive home. 

And that was it! Although, of course there was a sewing gift:


I couldn't find a small enough waistcoat pattern, so got some baby grows and just went for it. I'm sure these will be much easier than buttoning up a real one!

That's all for now, time for some well deserved tea and a biscoff slice... 

1 comment:

  1. There is so much cuteness in this post I don't know where to start!!!!

    I think the fact that Bear is niece/nephew no7 is probably my fav. And the "hard stare(TM)" just made me laugh! Also, that pigeon must be the nicest pigeon I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete