Sunday 14 March 2021

An Unusual Mother's Day


I've been doing well with the #mindfulmarch photo challenge (see @missys_grand_adventures on insta for this weeks photos) and I am very pleased to say that, finally, I'm about to go on annual leave (use it or lose it, so I have 2 glorious weeks with nothing but dog walks and the garden being started for the year booked).
The thought of getting away from my laptop and the never ceasing pull of the day job has made a long week bearable. Nothing in particular, just a long week. As a colleague said to me who has next week off - "don't know why as every day is like the other, but it feels like this time off is a week late!" 

Whilst not the official anniversary of lockdown starting in the UK (owing to the moving dates of Easter) mothers day last year was the day before lockdown was announced, so that hit home for me. We were practicing social distancing at that point, and as a result, I've realised I haven't hugged my mother in more than a year. Apart from when I briefly merged bubbles when my sister visited in August (and honestly, I'm not sure which of us needed that hug more) the only human I've had contact with is my husband, for more than a year. I think that bummed me out more than I realised. 

But we still managed something akin to mothers day and went for a walk. I brought cake, pre-tubbed to minimise contact, packed enough umbrellas to shelter the roman legion and then, as we drove to the designated meeting point, the three day rain storm that had been battering most of Scotland, lifted for us. 

Not necessarily warm by any stretch, but dry. Its amazing how much that can salvage a walk. No one cares about muddy puddles when your head is dry.

A good wee top up in the cup of life.

And talking of mothers, a very good friend of mine recently announced they were going to become a mother later this year. Baby isn't due till August, but I've already gotten carried away and put together a quilt and picked out a matching embroidery which I've yet to start.

Gender is being kept a surprise, so I got to play with a gender neutral palette, what do you all think? 

So, to all the mothers, the would be mothers and pawrents of furbabies, I hope this weekend has found you well and given you some hope for when our families can see one another in the future, and the long awaited hugs we are to recieve. 

1 comment:

  1. I near cried reading this, a year since I last hugged mum? (Longer even as I hadn't seen her a good 5 months before lockdown) And I won't lie, I needed that hug more than anyone when we merged bubbles. I'm amazed a crowbar wasn't required to prise me off!

    And aww, I love how you ended this post!

    Enjoy your two weeks off, you deserve them!

    ReplyDelete