Sunday 12 April 2020

Easter in Incarceration


OK. So, maybe this whole social distancing thing is getting to me. I spent all of yesterday in a pretty foul mood that boiled down to the fact that it was a lovely day and what I actually wanted to do was go out with my husband and Missy and explore a castle or something.

I'll rewind a bit. If this lock down can be compared to the seven stages of greif, this week was anger. We've had shock. We've all seen the footage of Italy and heard the numbers in Spain. Then we had denial. It's all fine really, we just gotta sit tight and really, it's just flu. We're fine.
This week is anger. People have been so aggressive. Media is blowing up and scapegoating anyone who is outside when it happens the sun is shining, and the mobs are baying for blood. I feel judged every time I'm in my car driving out my estate to go to work - working in a critical role to provide safe drinking water. At work people were cross, no one can agree on anything except that the higher ups are clearly doing things wrong. I don't know if it's fatigue from the longer days we are now doing (skeleton crew, 4 on 4 off shifts) or what, but no one had anything nice to say this week in the labs.

So I was in a foul mood yesterday from having to just smile and deal with everything. Hubby suggested we walk to Bellsquarry, which he cycles past on his commute, and seemed like a nice woodland area, so I conceded defeat and went along. 

Instantly we were treated with a delightful mother duck and her babies. All my frustration melted away as the tiny fluffy bundles squeaked after thier mother and I was reminded by nature that not all was bad. Its Spring. Ordinarily a favourite season of mine (truth be told, they're all my favourite for one reason or another!) but I do love watching everything come back to life and the warmer days with the promise of lazy summer afternoons int he near future.

Spring also brings Easter. Its a highlight on my social calander as this is usually the first big outdoor outing we do as a family. For obvious reasons, I had cast that thought and hope from my mind and focused on the day for what it meant. 

Rebirth or New Birth, Christian or Pagan, however you look at it, this is a time of year for accepting the past and moving forward. A time for the world to shake off its winter slumber and step forth and grow into something beautiful. I hope that, however difficult these past few weeks have been, and certainly for many more yet, that we will continue to embrace and grow the good we are finding in it and shake off bad habits of old. 

Ironically, I think my family are getting closer (perhaps not always getting along any better, but more prepared to lay aside thier hatchets, which is a marked improvement). My mother is volunteering to deliver food out to the kids from her school, an altruistic side I had rarely seen from her and hope to encourage. My neice is reaching out for help on her school work and we're stepping in to do what we can. PE with Joe every morning. The weekly clap for our carers. Good things. Let's not get carried away shaming those who do wrong, let's focus and praise on those who are doing the right thing.

Right. Apologies. Time to get off my high horse. For Easter we decided on a virtual picnic. As you can see Missy approved!

We also had our time honoured egg decorating contest. I made an Elvis inspired egg and won the "most entertaining" category. Fortunately I am not judging next year, so I have plenty of time to come up with something else!

I'll leave it there for now, the evening is drawing in and it's time for some Easter eggs, a cup of good hot tea and a stupid movie. A perfect way to finish the day. 

1 comment:

  1. Clap clap clap! Well said and all so very true! Easter was awesome, thank you for making it happen. And next year, next year I shall win one of the categories!

    ReplyDelete