Sunday 23 June 2019

Looking for Witches in Witchcraig Woods

Back to regular programming with the adventures - Missy and I had a busy weekend (hubby was working, but its never stopped us before!) and we started off with the Korean War Memorial and Witchcraig Woodland. Its neatly tucked away around the back of Beecraigs and parking is simply a lay-by in front of the (rather decorative) gate.


I wasn't sure what to expect from a Korean War memorial, but wasn't disappointed at the pagoda that neatly listed all 1100 men who were killed in the war. Poppies and wreaths had been laid, to show they were not forgotten, and the air had that calm tranquil element to it that is unique in places of respect. After paying ours, Missy was keen to explore the woodland and we decided to explore the trails that snaked off from the main path.


First we went to the viewpoint (I felt that their promise of being able to see Arron was a bit too keen) before losing the afternoon to wondering down deer and rabbit trails in the sun. We briefly saw some cyclists, but mostly had the place to ourselves which was a nice way to spend the day. Missy enjoyed herself tremendously, leading the way and weaving through gorse in the hunt for rabbits. 

Certainly worth a revisit - it was large enough that I didn't feel I was having to add to the walk to justify the drive and there was plenty for the humans to look at too. A win win!


Today was the Besieged at Direlton event and I managed to organise a family get together to go along. Fur cousin Maisie with my brother and his friend, my mum and eldest niece (14).  The event was more successful than my last attempt, mostly because the temperature stayed below 20C, and it was nice e getting to hang out with the older contingent of the family. It was already well stated on the cards that if Maisie took umbridge to the gunfire we'd default to Tantallon Castle or Yellowcraig beach and I was pleased to see my brother copy my lead of sitting well away from the muscat fire and slowly working nearer as she got more confident.
I have previously mentioned that I find the screen generation hard but, as my niece ran about trying to get *the* instagram shot of herself in the castle, I realised she was very easy to get along with these days. I simply had to suggest what I thought would look cool and she suggested what she thought would be neat and between us we got a lot of photos taken and a happy teenager!

And yes, we did manage to get *the* shot!


Owing to the gun displays, whilst dog friendly, the sieges never seem to attract many dogs and Missy was an instant hit. She cosied up to ankles, wiggled under benches for pets and even stood up to ask for some cuddles. My brother, whilst enjoys reenactments, doesn't go for the chatting to random people bit of things, so Missy had a monopoly on it as we worked our way about the village. She was particularly enamoured with a chap who was helping with the cookfire (and he her) and throughout the day he kept coming over and commenting on her temperament and posing skills.
We got a lot of laughs by a wheelbarrow of limbs - I was telling Missy to say "bring out your dead!" in my best Monty Python impression and a couple started whaling with laughter with the idea Missy might steal a limb and run amok with it.
That never happened, I'm not sure if I'm relieved or disappointed! 


Once we hit the heat of the day we decided to all go to Yellowcriag beach - one of the nicest beaches in Edinburgh and always very popular when sunny! My brother got lost trying to find the place that was literally a mile away and got parked at completely the opposite end to us. We had a good laugh about it as we tried to find one another and both dogs got their paws wet.  My niece and myself where the only ones to go paddling, the rest of them are clearly just old bores!


The day took a turn for the worse though after O got a call from my husband saying he was in a cab to A and E on account of cutting his hand open when at work. Thankfully once cleaned it was deemed that no stitches were required, but still, gave me a fright. He's to keep it dry for a week and watch out for any swelling or discharge (read that as I will be keeping said eye out!). It didn't spoil a good day, and he's enjoying the excuse to get some chocolate ice cream and 'sulk' over it. It's the best humoured sulk I've ever seen, but I will leave him to it all the same!

Starting a big sewing project this week, so hopefully I'll have some items to unveil for next post, until then!

1 comment:

  1. Busy busy busy! Sounds like a fantastic weekend, one with a 'bang' for sure!

    Will admit to being jealous! And I have to admit, as soon as I read the words 'bring out your dead' I too was killing myself laughing!

    ReplyDelete