Sunday 9 June 2019

Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway

Its been a weekend of two halves. Saturday rained. It poured and chucked it down. It drizzled and spat and was just a generally gruesome day. Sunday however, well, it may be cloudy at points, but its been warm and dry and just the right kind of day for getting out and about in the world.

Its been a funny weekend for reminiscing. We've got a friend visiting and, without really meaning to, we've mostly been recollecting adventures past and how things once were. My hubby and said friend are going to London for a boys weekend at the end of August (there's a wrestling match involved, so I'm very happy to leave them to it) and I was fondly recounting when I went as a kid with a family friend who, in the nicest and most fond way possible, is an absolute anorak, so we'd actually gone down to see some new plane or something at the time and caught a steam show too. It came out that our friend had never been on a steam train and we decided that needed rectified immediately.


The Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway is an oldie but a goodie - I've been to a few Thomas days and even without an event, the atmosphere is great and its busy. I like to see these little volunteer run places doing well and, as we waited for the train, we watched the model railway (house in an old carriage) and wandered about the engine shed. The place must be full of mice; Missy's nose was going the whole time as we looked about the old carriages.


It takes about an hour to do the round trip on the train, starting at Bo'ness and finishing in Manuel where they turn the around and head back down the line. It was busy enough that there was a good atmosphere but not so busy that we were going to struggle getting seats and soon we were on our way enjoying a picnic and admiring the view. We were sat directly behind the engine and there really is no noise quite like a steam train as it chugs along the track.


Missy was much admired by the staff, being mistaken as a puppy rottie, and her modelling skills got a good laugh (and a shot on the train footplate, not many dogs can claim that). After the round trip we decided to go on the harbour walk and let Missy stretch her legs. We had not real destination in mind other that a vague 'that way, towards Kinneil' and ended up going for a walk around a tidal island. 
The gorse bushes were clearly full of rabbits and Missy was almost yellow from the pollen when she decided to check in on us. As a treat, we spotted the train passing us by and I was lucky enough to get a shot of it before we lost it in the foliage. 


As I said, Saturday was miserable so I managed a lot of sewing. Missy was given plenty of walks and chased some bunnies, but wasn't in the mood for a soggy adventure and happily slept on the sofa whilst I worked away. I have a large project that I aim to start this week, but wanted to do a palette cleanse project first as I've done a few large ones on the bounce. This ones a gift for my sister who adores all things spooky:


There's a lot more to the set, but didn't want to clutter the photo too much - 4 place mats, 6 coasters, 3 big bowl covers, 4 small bowl covers (a must against the cats), 3 pot holders, the teapot cosie and table runner. I'm rather looking forward to offering to set the table when I next visit!

Although I am concerned her other house guests may start to presume she's a witch in disguise - or that she's gone completely batty!

1 comment:

  1. Completely batty! Ha! I like that one! And seeing as I've not taken down my flying eyeballs Halloween decorations for coming up 5 years, the spooky table pieces won't cause anyone to bat an eyelid on top of my spider tablecloth!

    Sounds like a great day out today, and a trip down memory lane. The London trip wasn't to see a plane - it was a special steam engine that was doing it's last journey before being decommissioned and it was being tied in with the steam show. No idea why I remember that mind you!

    ReplyDelete