Sunday 24 February 2019

National Museum of Flight

I always kinda love it when I discover something is dog friendly that I've not even thought to check before, and that was the case with the National Museum of Flight in East Fortune. A place the hubby had never been to and a spot I hadn't set foot in since I was a small child, it was a definite for the to do list. 

We had been discussing planes and Concorde the day before in work, which is what led me to look at the museum in the first place. I was a bit embarrassed to confess I had never laid eyes on a Concorde before, even grounded, which is when the exhibition was flagged to my attention. Worked out very well in the end!


Spring has finally started to creep in - crocus are out and snowdrops are appearing in their thousands, it truly is a wonderful time of year. With the milder weather we decided to just give the Flight Museum a go, knowing that whilst Missy was allowed on the grounds, she was not permitted into the hangers.


East fortune is an old military air base and, owing to its participation in both world wars, is a listed site. The area we were allowed to ramble about is a tiny portion of the full site and is focused around the main hangers and buildings.
After a double check that Missy was good to come in as we bought tickets (and we received a friendly reminder on their no indoors and lead policy) we were in and stretching legs. The place is clearly full of mice and rabbits - Missys nose did not stop for a moment and she couldn't care less as we took turns going in and out the hangers and she towed the other along with her tail wagging.


There are three hangers you can enter, the Concorde experience, the civilian planes and military planes as well as several out fitted buildings including one demonstrating how parachutes were maintained, one that was a interactive area explaining how planes worked and the other a history of the site. It was still cool enough that towards the end of our visit we were happy to pop Missy in the car whilst we nipped back and watched the short videos of Concorde. I never appreciated how large it was, or how magnificent it must have been in the air - I could finally appreciate what the guys in the team meant when they lamented the loss to aviation upon their being grounded - although looking at the fuel usage, I can understand the environmentalists upset at them flying!

We finished the visit with another walk around the base and flying a kite I picked up in the gift shop - its certainly a place to bring a picnic along in the summer and take the extended family to, so I imagine we'll be back before long!

With spring in the air, I've moved onto some brighter projects to add some colour about the house. I'm very pleased with my little baskets, though would change the construction a little bit if I was to redo them. We live and learn!


Hopefully that's winter out the way and we can start getting more adventures under way!

*nervously glances outside in case snowmaggedon mark 2 appears*

1 comment:

  1. Lol, snowmagedon mark 2...

    Looks like a good day, and as extended family, I may take you on the offer to go visit there with you one day!

    Also, those baskets are adorable!

    ReplyDelete