Sunday 20 January 2019

Nerf battles and Ravens

Well, the ravens really refers to Ravenscraig Woods! Saturday the hubby and I had a rare day off together without any family commitments and, after a wee search online, came up an ideal way to have a quiet but doggy orientated day.


Firstly we decided to investigate Ravenscraig. Now, we'd passed signs for this wood when on route to Cairnpapple and were surprised to discover that it's also owned by the same trust that looks after Beecraigs country park. Unlike it's much larger more well known cousin, Ravenscraig is a small woodland that's been left to fend for itself. The signs indicated that the "long" 2.4km walk would take an hour and in the end we were about that long as all the arrows had worn away, so we kept taking the wrong path and ending up in dead ends!


Still, won't complain as it was a nice walk away from roads or livestock where Missy could get off the lead and hunt for mice. Craig, in the place names referred to here, comes from the Gaelic Craeg, meaning rock, and the walk was certainly very rocky as we would round a small hill that afforded a lovely view above the days fog.


Afterwards, we decided to check out the opening of the Paw Stop - a brand new dog friendly cafe located not sure far away in Bathgate. It wasn't fully functioning yet, and was more an open day in the way of "hi! We exist! Come say hello and have some free cake!"
Missy was much fawned over and was eager to tuck into her party bag. The place was crammed with dogs so I didn't manage any photos, but it looks like it's gonna be a nice wee set up. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll pop by and try the menu.


In the evening we had Foam Dart Thunder event at icombat Glasgow - basically, we got to go and play nerf games with a load of equally enthusiastic nerds in a laser tag arena.
And it was awesome. Again, no photos as I didn't want to risk breaking my camera or phone, but it was a great evening. Despite the mohawks and military get-up, all the people there were really friendly and helpful and had loads of time for us newbies. We did a version of tag, we played a few rounds were we had to get a 'bomb' into the other teams base (read that as a light up bouncy ball) and finished on humans versus zombies. I volunteered to be a starting zombie and think I surprised the kids (event was strictly 11+) with how fast my old feet can take me!
I've previously done paintballing and wasn't very keen as people took it too seriously, and friends of friends I know who are into air soft have put me off the sport by bing far too serious again and treating it too seriously. I mean, they're all toy guns at the end of the day!
So yes, was very pleased at how welcoming the community was to us! Definitely think we'll be along to another event or two, once the bruises calm down...


It's been a busy little week and I don't have much to show in the sewing side of things - I really must just focus on one project and not dither at the three! Hopefully there will be something to show for next week.

Till then!

1 comment:

  1. Look forward to seeing the projects when they're done, but Missy photos will always make my day!

    Sounds like a great weekend! Though not sure I would call it "quiet"!

    ReplyDelete