Sunday 11 December 2022

An Unexpectedly Magical Weekend


It's our first proper snow of the winter, which makes everything look more magical, and helps with the Christmas spirit. I'm having an odd year with Christmas. Usually I'm all for it or just a apethetically following along, whereas this year I feel like I'm there, it's Christmas, let's be jolly and oh, uh, yay, I suppose?

This weekend started out the latter. For reasons I won't divulge, my long anticipated, steal the oldest neice and nephew, I'm the best-aunt-ever(tm) weekend was cancelled. Cancelled very last minute, as in, Friday morning last minute.
Thankfully, I had not bought or booked anything, otherwise I would. Have been too cross to be as understanding as I was. But nonetheless, less said the better. 

With my rather unexpectedly free weekend, I decided to shuffle the dog walk with my mum to the Saturday and go along to the Jollyes open day. I had never heard of this pet superstore before and, as the radio promoted that thier chosen charity was the Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home, I instantly had to find out about it.

It was more a soft launch open weekend rather than any extravagant grand opening. Well, the unicorn was a bit grand, but more on that in a moment. 

We did spin the wheel before entry and won a free toy. Great start! Then we got handed a free dog goodie bag. Even better! And was that birds I hear?!
So, whilst I would put it on par with Pets at Home in terms of ranges and products, the bird section was phenomenally larger (at the expense of the fish section, I suspect, that felt a bit small). So we got to pick out a nice new perch for the boys. As we were discussing what seed offered the best value, the photographer popped over and asked us how our dog was around horses.

Yep. Missy got a photoshoot with a Unicorn. 

OK, so we had to be there to wrangle, but it was absolutely Missys moment to shine. I can't wait to see the official press photos! 

Missy was allowed to pick herself some dead things from the doggy pick'n'mix as a reward for her outstanding behaviour and we picked up a new pink coat for her (first photo). 

Then it was off to my mums for lunch and a walk in the snow around the quarry. 

Today we swithered on ideas. We had a free day, an absolute rarity, so should we invite friends round for bonus free cheese? (The Magic Circle social night was on Thursday. Hubby and I were rewarded a bunch of spare cheese and chocolates as a thank you for staying back to tidy up.) Or should we have an elusive quiet day and spend it on the sofa eating chocolate and watching Christmas movies?

I'll be honest, neither happened. Duvet days are a thing of the past as Missy insists on a solid wall despite the snow (and I was happy to oblige taking her photo on her cute new coat). After a brisk walk to get the cobwebs out, I was in no mood to sit about. Hubby wasn't either, and he beat me to the punch of starting the big pre-Christmas clean and tidy up. After clearing the place too to bottom, I made tiffin and tear and share to go with the ill-gotten camembert. 

Missy was besotted by the cheese, but alas, had to make do with her advent calander instead! 

Unexpected, but not a bad weekend all told.

OK, OK, one more photo of the unicorn! 

Until next week! 

1 comment:

  1. Unicorn!!!! Glad to see you made the most of your unexpectedly clear weekend, and Missy looks amazing in her new coat!!!

    ReplyDelete