Sunday 10 July 2022

Horsing around at the Dalkeith Show


Well, it's been a funny old week. With covid being rife, I shouldn't have been surprised that my mum has come down with it and (owing to her visiting) my husband too. 

So I was in an absolute pickle this weekend. We'd won tickets to the Dalkeith Show. I was negative (and had been for a few days) and feeling 100%. Technically if I was in the office I would have had to go in, and yet I still felt massively guilty to be considering going out to have fun.

Hubby told me to go. I offered the ticket to my friend and explained the whole sad story and she encouraged me to go as well.

And so we went. And we had an amazing time. 

I joke that the Dalkeith show is the less touristy version of the Highland Show. Its got livestock. Its got vintage tractors. There's horses and stalls and competitions and shows. 

We arrived for opening and started with the Clydesdales. it was a good chance to catch up on life, the universe and all the happenings and it was swiftly lunchtime. 

As it was so hot, I got Missy in the paddling pool and splashed her down a few times. She wasn't pleased, but didn't overheat, so mission accomplished! 

The Dalkeith Show tends to get a novelty act in for the kids, and this year was the "Drakes of Hazard", a comedy act with a sheepdog herding ducks. 
We all ooh'd and ahh'd in the right places as the ducks completed the obstacle course (including a tiny helter skelter). Definitely a fun addition to the day! 

We finished the day doing the Braid Vets dog show, and Missy placed this year and won Best Crossbreed. I was initially surprised when they made a point that they were looking for dogs with three or more breeds in them, and then realised that this was to combat the rise of the "oodle". Over half of the dogs in the general "best puppy" or "golden oldie" were labradoodles, cockapoodles, sproodles, goldendoodles or a varient thereof, so they were clearly trying to get "true mutts" and not designer Crossbreeds in the competition.
Symantics and breed politics aside, Missy was in absolute tart mode with the judges. We had to walk in a circle and, midway round, she decided enough was enough and snuggled up to them and demanded all the cuddles. And won. Was it cheating? Did she bribe the judges with kisses?
Who's to say. Who's to say.

So an excellent day all round.

Today has been too hot for adventures (and even though I am still 100% and testing negative I don't want to push my luck too far. Technically I'm out of the window to have caught it from my mum, so I have until Wednesday to see if I catch it from hubby). So it's been a pottering about day for Missy and I. I got a load of the garden sorted. Been pushing on with crafts and we've been avoiding the heat by doing a very early walk and have planned a late one. Hubby, bless him, took an hour to cut the fresh grown onions and then had to lie down for a bit. He's doing well, but is just exhausted. I'm letting him help, but not expecting any, if that makes sense.

Talking of crafts, I managed to photograph last week's big project. 

I know what your thinking, but trust me, hop over to my Instagram @missdaisysewing and you'll see the fun and quirky design element on this one.

Stay safe, everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. The fun and quirky element is amazing!

    Sad that your hubby isn't feeling great, but I am p!eased you still managed to make the most of your weekend!

    And Missy deserves to win! Kisses or no kisses!

    ReplyDelete