Sunday 24 April 2022

Thistle do Nicely


A backwards post today. My aunts dress, which I've been stringing this out since February. So at long last, the full story. My aunt has not had much luck with her health. My mother says her sister was a sickly child and, certainly, my experience growing up was that she was always down with something when we visited. So, several years ago now, whilst it came as no surprise to be told she had cancer, we were shocked to discover she had three individual cancers. The doctors said she was lucky, but as you can imagine, my aunt never felt that was the case. 
So there's been multiple surgeries to remove it. Reconstruction surgery which then failed and had to be removed again. The chemo. The steroids. Everything in between. 
So despite the joyous news that her son was going to get married, she was absolutely distraught, saying that she was going to look like "a sausage in a bin bag" on the day. 

I went through this with my mother when I was married (hell, even my MIL who doesn't give two figs what people think about what she wears had it). They want to put on a show for what is thier child's happiest day. My mother tried on more dresses for my wedding than I did! So when I got a mercy call from my mother asking if I would be willing to do a commission, of course I said yes. My poor aunt really does deserve to feel nice for a special day. 

So I agreed. I got some suggestions, gave a few of my own and saw my aunt once for the initial measure up. I had my sewing books, pins and measuring tape and (with the help of hubby who knows how to flatter someone into agreeing with him) came up with a battle plan. A smock, using a belt as a waistband (she can change size overnight) and a couple of thistles. Some thistles. Oh, they're your special symbolic flower from your late husband? Lots of thistles. 

And that was it. Fabric was ordered, the dress was made and... She was too poorly to make it for a fitting. Well, having to guess the length of a dress which I would be unable to alter again, was a bit nerve wracking to say the least. And then there was the thistles. So many thistles. 

After much anxiety, this weekend was the moment. I kicked mum into the other room, gave my best and most flattering pep talk (always use compassionate language) as I helped adjust the "waistband" into an empire line and fluffed the petticoats and....

She was absolutely delighted. Its the right side of dark for her comfort zone. Brings the eye away from the features she's worried about and matches with the coat she had picked out. So she was a happy bunny. She did try to pay me, but I insisted it was a wedding gift for her son - that his mother is happy. 

After that, I caught up with my oldest nephew to check out the pokemon event in town. It was a community day and, to be honest, was expecting more than a marquee that was handing out stickers. Thankfully my nephew is easily pleased, I showed him the best baked potato shop in Edinburgh and then we chilled out in the Gardens taking turns to catch stuffuls. 

There was ice creams too to enjoy in the spring sunshine and it was a pretty good way to end the end the day. My neice caught up with us and I saw them off on the train before heading to a friends for dinner. Poor Missy was absolutely beat from the day, so a quiet Sunday was definitely in order. 

Well. Quiet in a get on with the garden and get engrossed in a new sewing project kind of way! 

1 comment:

  1. Love the pun! And the dress!! You have done our aunt proud. Pleased it all went well in the end!

    ReplyDelete