Sunday 23 January 2022

Bard at the Beach


It was a very busy Saturday this week - the garden was cleared and made ready for the start of the new growing season (yes, it's January, but my new book (and basically garden bible) "Ministry Of Food: Thrifty Wartime Ways To Feed Your Family Today", encourages potato planting and seed sowing (in the greenhouse) in February. Whilst I'm joking about it being my new garden bible, it has provided a month by month resource of what to plant and when in the British garden, something I've struggled to get a solid answer on in my garden experiments.
After that, it was setting up new fire alarms for my mum (to be explained below), measuring the kitchen, and gathering up all of the random treats and accessories we wanted to donate to the Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home. If you recall back to our Holyrood #leadtheway walk, we were gathering donations for the EDCH, and Burns Pet, who sponsor the walks, gave us a big goodie bag to pass on. 
It was overdue getting to them! 

Scotland has new fire alarm legislation coming in at the end of the month, so I'd volunteered to sort my mums out. They have to be interconnected (which we set up at home just in case there was a problem with them, no worries, all good), so I'd organised a mini Burns night with her to give more meaning to the visit. 

Scope creep.

Thise two words are defining my 2022. Oh, if we're going to Edinburgh, let's pop in and ask about the kitchen (a baffling experience that somehow ate almost 2 hours of my day without actually speaking to a designer, that's next weekend!). We really need to get those donations away, how about a trip to the beach and we'll pop in and do that too? 

Then comes the rest of the family adding to scope, sister and family invited, only eldest neice comes along (she's embracing being 17 and an adult who can get the train and go where she wants; oh the reckoning she has ahead of her). That's fine, it'll be after the walk and - Oh, she's bringing Wee Ben. Thankfully we have the spare harness packed! 

It all went very well, we got everything on the list done, and it was exactly the pick me up my mum needed. I even pandered to her wanting a wee photoshoot on the beach, making sure we caught the golden hour and the best spots for backdrops. Missy is just like my mother, and she happily posed with her - whilst my neice stood for some photos, it was obvious she wasn't in the mood, so it was good my mum had one grandchild eager to join in the photos! 

We joined in the spirit of the Bard with linguistic games, although I'm not sure dear Rabbie Burns would have approved of Poetry for Neanderthals...! 

Talking of spirits, it's finally done: my Grim Grinning Ghosts SAL:

More detailed shots at my Instagram: @missdaisysewing 

Very. Very. Pleased! 

And today we booked our next grand adventure, but you'll have to wait and see what and when it is. All I will say is that I'm definitely embracing the quintessentially British vibe this year. 

1 comment:

  1. Busy busy busy! Can't wait to see what your garden produces this year, and also to hear about your next grand adventure!

    And also, love the cross stitch - it's come out amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete