Monday 5 June 2023

Flowers and Canons


It's been a weekend of 2 halves, both absolutely brilliant and full of getting to hang out and see friends.

Winding back a little, Friday was a trip over to the House of the Binns for the long awaited photoshoot of my eldest neice in her prom dress. I am not at liberty to share them here, but trust me when I say that she looked absolutely stunning.
The fact that one of her friends has turned one of the photos into a mock cover for Vogue is far more flattering to my photography skills than I care to admit!

Saturday was a rather last minute outing with my friends to Scone Palace and their Garden Fair. My Inverness friend came down for the day and we came to realise just how incredibly twee we have become in our old age! After a few hours admiring the competition gardens (Missy and I liked the one with cake best) and looking through the plant stalls (I was good and only adopted one peppermint plant), we found a nice shady area and chatted away. 

There was a few shady walks and also dash around the maze. Missy got us absolutely lost in the maze, which only added to the fun. 
And then it was time to get going. Once back in Edinburgh, I briefly saw my brother for a slice of cake for his birthday. We have adventures planned to celebrate which I will tell you about next week. 

Sunday was an absolute 180. From house and garden and calmly mooching about neatly mown lawns with peacocks to being back in Duncarron for thier Pirates event.

It was Missy, hubby, a good friend and myself who all went. Our friend had been lamenting the lack of Renfairs in the UK, so we told her this was probably the closest thing we could get. And it was an absolute success, we did the archery, the axe throwing and watched the displays. For lunch we hid in the shade of the pirate tavern and Missy got so much attention. We humans did too as we had also dressed up, but as always Missy went into tart mode and we all made fast friends with everyone we met.
The absolute highlight of the day was best dressed pirate. As with the Viking show, we decided it would be funny to enter Missy except.... 
She was the only entrant. The heat and lateness of the day had driven off most of the little pirates I had seen running about earlier. Fortunately, Jack Sparrow ran off and rounded up all the kids he could find and we had a competition. There were introductions and Missy got her time honoured laugh. Then the judges all huddled together to pick a winner. I did hear a "it's gotta be the dog" followed by a "ye cannae have the dog win! It's gotta be one of the bairns!" which gave me a good giggle.
We all clapped when the kid beside us won a little shield and sword and then Jack Sparrow stood upon a barrel and announced that Missy had won runner up. We were handed his autobiography (a dvd of one of the Pirates films) and a jar of dirt (tastefully put together). At that point, the lass running the kitchen ran over with a hotdog which was proudly presented to Missy. 
There was much laughter as it was immediately gobbled down! An excellent end to the day. 

And so, Missy will always remember the day that Captain Jack Sparrow gave her a hot dog! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh bless! That's definitely one for the photo album!

    ReplyDelete