Monday 4 March 2024

A Roaring Success


It was the first dog show of the season and Missy wowed the judges, taking home 3 ribbons! But let's wind back a step! 

I think I have converted my brother. Up until Dogwarts, he absolutely refused to take Maisie into the ring to compete at the fun dog shows. He didn't want to be on show himself and felt it would be awkward in the ring. And I never really pushed about it until we reached a position where, with Missy being in the same class, he kinda had to take her . And as we all know, the stars aligned and Maisie won her first ribbon. And now my brother has the dog show bug and, without my prompting, put her in for 2 classes at the Annual Muirfield Riding Therapy dog show. 

Missy went last year, and we had such a lovely time, I was keen to go back. An indoor dog show? Absolutely count me in on that one!
So my brother and I went along, Missy in for Veteran, prettiest girl, best rescue and fancy dress with Maisie in for prettiest girl and dog judge would most like to take home. Missy placed runner up in Veteran, losing to some very elderly looking pups and we went in for prettiest girl. 
Now, Missy plays hard tactics at these shows. She snuggles up to the judges, calmly and with her biggest doe eyes she requests pets and sits on thier feet, forlornly trying to follow as they leave. Maisie has not perfected a tactic. Shewas emboldened a little with Missy to try a similar tactic for pretty girl (neither placed) but without her cousin, was too shy to say hello on Dog Judge Would Most Like To Take Home and failed to place. 

Laughing with a comment to Maisie to take notes, we went in for Best Rescue. Now, I couldn't judge one of these shows on the best of days, let alone a category like that. Watching the judges make thier way about the dogs, listening to the stories, I could visibly see one breaking. By the tim they got to me, I could see tears glistening in the eyes on one lady. People think I'm joking when I say Missy is incredibly empathic, but she knows people. She immediately went to said judge and really cuddled in to her, proper snout rubbing snuggling. 
I try not to dwell on Missys past at these things. I explained she was a stray, we knew she was in a home situation, so likely abandoned, but that she hasn't let her set her back. I motioned the cuddling and explained how trusting she is, and how she loves people and the PAT work we've been doing. 
Well, I think that poor judge left more broken than when she started. 
The collie, with his strange malformed leg and left for dead in a bag at 2 weeks old, rightfully won. He was a beautiful dog with a gorgeous temperament and I was absolutely flattered when Missy placed second. 

Well, after all that we needed some light hearted entertainment. Fancy dress was the last category of the day and, sporting an upgraded viking look, Missy strutted about the ring like a sta and placed first.
I honestly expected the family (one kid a mermaid, another a pirate and the dog in a shark costume) to win, so was genuinely surprised to be crowned winner. My brother was taking it all too seriously at this point and said he'd have actually complained if they ad won and Missy had the most superior outfit! 

What a day! A fabulous start to the season and with promises of more shows ahead. We need to work a tactic for Maisie, perhaps a little harness with dragon wings to compliment Missy as a viking?

Until next time! 

1 comment:

  1. Missy deserved to win them all! So pleased she got first as a viking though, and she has to come dressed up to one of my shows!

    ReplyDelete