Tuesday 18 July 2023

Dog Day Out at Traquair


A bit of a quieter weekend for us this time! I had the eldest nephew staying over for a birthday sleepover. There was lots of Japanese food, anime and board games. We also took him for his first ever escape room, and we successfully achieved our mission in 45 minutes with no hints!

Sunday was Missys day. I had asked my nephew if he wanted to stay an extra night and come along for the Dog Day Out or if he wanted I could drop him off home the Saturday night. He chose an extra night of anime and board games!


We met up with my brother and Maisie and all headed down together. My nephew was in the back with both dogs whilst I drove us all down, my brother having just finished a late shift. 

There was plenty to see an do - we watched the agility but didn't have a go (whilst Missy considers herself healed up, she's still to avoid running and jumping for another week or two). There was gun dog demos and there was meant to be a sheepdog one, but the event was cancelled owing to "naughty sheep"! We enjoyed a Story-telling dog walk, hearing stories of different dogs from across Scotland as we meandered about the grounds and of course there was stalls and a dog show. 
I insisted that Maisibshoukd go in for once and, whilst she didn't place, I felt she should definitely have taken a ribbon for dog judge would most like to take home! My nephew was her wrangler for that, my brother insisting that he wasn't going in the ring. 
Missy placed 3rd in Best Rescue and 2nd in Golden Oldie, which was really nice. Her favourite event had to be the fastest sausage eating contest. And yes. You read that right. A sausage eating contest. For the dogs. 

Dogs were put in groups of four, lined up with the sausage placed at the feet of a judge and, upon completion, the judge would raise thier hand. First to raise thier hand indicated the winning dog. 
Missy was in the fourth set of dogs to go through the first heat and, when she clocked what was going on, was desperate to get her sausage.
I was genuinely surprised that she beat a lab and a gigantic fluffy hound in her first run, both dogs much bigger than her! She places 3rd in the second heat and, whilst I returned to my brother and nephew, they both scolded me for giving Missy the disadvantage - apparently I held her back in her dash. So next time I should drop the lead! The audacity of them both! 
Still, two sausages, Missy clearly felt she was a winner for that alone! Part of me really wants to see more events like that at the shows - ones that embrace the dogs as pets, rather than how they look. 

And that was the weekend. A fly by one again, and a great laugh. So until next time, dream of doggos enjoying sausages and life! 

1 comment:

  1. The sausage contest is perfect in my opinion also. Although you definitely held her back!

    ReplyDelete