Sunday 27 November 2022

Slumber Party


Winter is drawing in for sure now as our afternoon walk feels more and more like a midnight run. Missy isn't phased - she's been chasing off the zombie hordes whilst I've followed warily behind. I will admit that after this photo, I did dig out her high vis' coat, which had made the walk significantly less stressful. Black dogs do not show up very well in the twilight woodland.

Missy is all growing up though; she had her first slumber party this weekend. Well, it was more hubby and I indulging my twin niece and nephew who have been begging for us to stay over for a considerable amount of time now. With thier dad suffering long covid and chronic fatigue, we kept the weekend very simple. We arrived at 9am the Saturday, then I took the mum out for a well deserved stress free few hours bauble painting. 

I am very, very pleased with mine. The workshop was at Dalkeith Country Park and was an early Christmas present which was well received as we spent two hours catching up and enjoying some cake. 

Meanwhile, hubby, dad and the kids did a local treasure hunt through the High Street, looking for the odd things out in the windows, before we all got back for lunch. We let the dad snooze for a little as I got to catch up with the kids and we showed off our trinkets. My neice, who is very, very crafty, was extremely jealous in the most fun way to have been left the the "smelly boys". Honestly, the girl is 8 going on 19!

We had lunch, there was colouring in and board games before dinner. The board games were picked up again as we had a girls round and a boys round of chess - coming from a family that actually played chess very seriously, I loved watching my nephew seriously challenging my hubby. Hubby knows the pieces, and what they do, but he has no idea of tactics. After an initial false start where I realised that the problem was both players were purely reacting on the other and no one had a game plan, I stepped in to help my nephew a little. Then helped hubby a little. Dad joined in and we soon fell into a good rhythm of suggesting some nudges of an idea whilst letting them both actually do the thinking. Hubby won, but it was a close thing, giving my nephew a but more confidence in the game. I played my neice who was far too tired at this point, but was insistent that she should have a go too.

I kept it short, but kind. And let her take a few "big" pieces. I firmly believe chess can only be learned whilst losing and that letting someone win does no one a favour. 

Kids went to bed and we stayed up far too late trying to sort the wrongs of the world. 

Well. We weren't surprised that there was no lie in. So it was a rambling dog walk to air out the cobwebs before games were again played until lunchtime. 

We ate and left and got home to do the chores and get prepped for another week. A very good weekend, but tiring too.

10/10 though, would definitely do again - perhaps not next weekend though like the kids were asking! 

1 comment: