Sunday 29 May 2022

Awaiting a Royal Invitation

So, the saga continues, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Missys op on Thursday went well, and her day 2 check on Saturday passed with flying colours. The vet tech was shocked that her hock was dry, clean and free from "lumps, bumps, oozes and bruises", to quote. 

However, it's been another weekend of short walks and Missy enjoying long snoozes on the sofa. She isn't sleeping properly because of the cone and the bright mornings - her teepee is currently dismantled as she keeps knocking it down with the cone, and we never realised before how much the light affected her in the morning. 
So we've been doing our best to keep her calm, rested and as low activity as possible. Which is hard. Really hard as we're in week 3 of this. 

Next weekend we have family visiting, and there is lots of jubilee things planned, including a garden party at my house. (My aunt has already declared she's going to wear the dress I made for my cousins wedding, which I find very flattering!). So we used the time to really push on with the house and garden, which have largely been ignored for three weeks. I hasten to add its all clean, just not tidy. Dog blankets and beds and cones of shame in every room kind of untidy, and plants I really should have repotted and put out weeks ago. 
Hubby told me not to worry about it, and that I have to stop holding myself to so high a standard, a terrible habit learned from my mother - no matter what, everything has to *look* perfect. We've had a bad scare with Missy, we are still waiting on more test results. No one will care that the skirting isn't finished and the doors don't match the new colour. No one. 

Still. I made a damn good attempt this weekend with the garden. It doesn't help doubly so that my mother likes to exaggerate my green thumb, and I'm worried it won't live up to expectations!

However, it wasn't all work and no play. We attended a members exclusive event at Jupiter Artland, where they unveiled the newest exhibit. There was cocktails (and mocktails), weird canapés and sweet popcorn to be had as we wondered about and enjoyed the atmosphere and seeing parts of the house that are normally closed to visitors. Some people did bring dogs, which made me feel guilty, but it was a good evening to be had. Hubby and I both agreed it wasn't to our tastes, but that's what art is about, creating discussion. 

Today we broke and took Missy on a wee adventure. Overtoun House provided the perfect backdrop for a special photoshoot (next week, I promise!), and she got a short 15 minutes walk in the woods as a reward for being so good.

The place is a bit of an urban legend, said to be haunted after more than 50 dogs have leapt off the bridge to thier deaths. Whilst not one for superstition and ghost stories, Missy was on a very short lead as we crossed! Apparently mink live under there, which experts think is the cause, or it could be the fact that your level with the tree tops, so squirrels appear an arms length away from you. We didn't loiter long, and quickly crossed it to enjoy the woodland below! 

I've been avoiding chores with lots of last minute sewing (BILs birthday gift and a Jubilee sampler amongst them). I managed to sneak away from the pumpkins long enough to put together this adorable waistcoat for my nephew:

More photos on insta! 

I'll pause there for this week before I spoil anything else, and will be sure to keep you all updated on Missy too! 

1 comment:

  1. Aww, Missy looks as fed up as you feel! Your doing great just keeping it together, although I to know this feeling of everything 'looking perfect'...
    Can't wait for the jubilee and Inkling is going to look so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete