Sunday 3 October 2021

Some Time off to Recover


After the chaos of last week, we decided to use the remaining time booked off to recharge the batteries and get some jobs done in the house.
It's still spring cleaning, even in October, right? 

Despite the more laid back plans, adventures must still be had. Blackness Castle seemed a good idea now its open again - although we did laugh at the fact that we've seen plenty of the castle this year with our Bo'ness to Blackness walks! It's a favourite of ours; oddly quirky with its boat shape, a grim dungeon and, in times before plague, lots of events (sadly, I think it will be some time before they host the seige again).

This was the moment that hit us with the difference between Scotland and Englands restrictions. After a week of being the odd ones out in our face masks (even in places like Beamish which asked for masks to be worn indoors, no one except the tourists seemed to be donning them), we were grilled about our health and then reminded 3 times to wear masks in inside areas. Not a problem for us, it just came as a surprise to compare the difference!

From there we did the favourite walks for the week and tried to avoid the sudden bad weather. 
The poor weather was looming on me a bit. Yesterday was our first shot at leading a group walk as Explorers at the UFO walk. One person messaged me to say they couldn't make it as the dog had an injury and that was fine. As we stood in the pouring rain however, I just knew my worst fear had come true: No one was gonna show. Everyone who parked up we queried if they were for the walk and we were either ignored or politely declined.
At 20 past the hour, just as I had given up, a car pulled in and out popped a gigantic fluffy German Shepherd and a Norwegian Elkhound.
"Dog Furiendly...?" I asked whilst getting kisses. 
"yes! Thank god you haven't left yet - I got lost coming in." 
One person and two dogs, fine, i could do that. Hubby and I gave them a personal tour of the area, including the UFO site, the Law and some rambling in the fields. Missy made firm new friends - how else does one cement their friendship without ganging up on a squirrel? I will confess to a moment of panic when said squirrel fell out of the tree and nearly landed on the dogs! Thankfully in the chaos it got back up the tree and was fine. 

Our guest turned out to be another Explorer, which was cool (we're secretly everywhere!). We bounced ideas for other walks in locations that may be more appealing to people (we're thinking of trying again on a Christmas walk at Arthur's Seat). The hour walk turned into two since all the dogs were happy together and then we headed home.

So, it could have been better, but I think we all still had a good time! 


Lastly, whilst there has been much sewing, it's the Christmas gifts that have been started on, which I won't share here. I'm feeling very autumnal today, the gloves and wooly hats are out and the garden is almost entirely put yo bed. Except for this glorious pumpkin, which I am very pleased with!

Now, do I eat it, or carve it? 

Until next time! 

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to chose between eating or carving - do both!

    And it's a shame your walk didn't go as planned, but one is far, far better than none!

    Also, I want to see sneak peaks of the Christmas goodies! I shared mine!!!

    ReplyDelete